After his studies at the École des Beaux-Arts, Delaplanche exhibited for the first time at the Salon of 1861 and worked for the Hôtel de la Païva before winning the first-place sculpture prize in 1864 and moving to Rome. The works he then produced in Paris, mainly female figures in marble, established his fame. Back in the capital, he provided sculptures for the Opéra Garnier, La Musique marble statue in 1878, the Sorbonne and Bordeaux cathedral.
He also collaborated with the great Maison Christofle, creating a centrepiece for the 1889 Paris Exhibition.
Several of his works are released by Maison Barbedienne in bronze and in a range of sizes.