Durand established the Maison Durand firm in 1870, producing top quality 18th century style furniture. The business triumphed when the firm participated in the 1889 Paris Exposition Universelle, obtaining a silver medal and commended as ‘un ébéniste aussi habile que modeste, qui expose pour la première fois des meubles de premier ordre, don’t il est à la fois le dessinateur et l’executant; il marche sur la voie tracée par les maitres tels que Beurdeley et Dasson.
According to the report of A. Picard, M. Durand, skillful and modest cabinetmaker, exhibited for the first-time top range furniture that he designed and produced. In 1890, when Durand’s son Frédéric-Louis joined the firm, the name was changed to Durand & Fils. The firm was located at 12 Rue de la Cerisaie, Paris, but subsequently moved in 1900 to 62, Rue Saint-Antoine, the old hotel de Sully. The business later took on the name DURAND & SON.
He nearly exclusively produced copies of 18th century furniture.